N9478E

N9478E
My 1979 Cessna 172N

Friday, September 2, 2011

Today's Flight

Bob and I took 9478E up today, the first flight since the panel upgrade.  I received my newly updated airplane back from Flight-Deck Avionics Wednesday morning, August 31st but have not been able to fly until today.  One word... WOW!  This new panel is fantastic and well worth the wait.  The work took a bit longer than originally planned (about 4 weeks) but I'm very satisfied with the end result.  Situational awareness has increased considerably and I have already noticed I'm able to scan for needed information much quicker.

We practiced slow flight, S-turns, rectangular patterns and tight turns all of which went very well.  I have a very good feel for my airplane now and instructor Bob was happy.  Best of all... I am home safe and sound back with my beautiful wife AND... without giving Provo Tower cause to laugh.  My landing was much better this time but still not good.  Must practice landings!

Below is a picture of the completed updated panel; Garmin G500 primary flight display and multi-function display (left side), GNS 430W GPS, GTX 330 Transponder with traffic, SL-40 COM Radio, GMA 340 Audio Panel and then of course analog instruments from the old panel as backups.  AWESOME!

5 comments:

Chip said...

That is the exact panel i want to do and what auto pilot do u have mine looks the same but does not do glide slope and i have same radio package u do, but want to put 530 in place. Its the perfect lay out

Chip said...

Plus who cut out the panel out for you

Alan Cluff said...

Chip, The panel work and avionics installation was done by Flight-Deck Avionics at SLC. Jared Christensen is the owner of the company. They do fantastic work!

I have the S-Tec 50 autopilot which is a two axis system with altitude hold. It does not have altitude capture. With the Garmin G500 it has GPSS.

I'd love to see pictures of your panel.

Chip said...

Hi Spionen my plane is in shop now getting everthing done. Im changing my s-tec 50 to a 55x for $2000 i found a used control head and s-tec is going to redo it for a 12 volt and stc paper work and that will cost me about another $2100. I was wondering did they use shock mounts on your new panel or is it just solid to fram. Do you love it or any problems with it yet. Plus putting a new 530w in to.

Alan Cluff said...

Chip, solid mount to the panel frame. No problems at all and I like this setup more and more each time I fly. How is your project coming along? Any pictures?